Student INC Entrepreneurship Program invites students to lead their own learning through real-world collaborative projects. This pilot project is the first in the nation to introduce, practice, and evolve entrepreneurial skills all the way from K-12--at Crockett HS, Student INC acts as a magnet program available to any students through an application and transfer process.
Access our 2018-2019 application here.
Some highlights from the first two years of Student INC:
- Nearly 800 students across four schools are approaching learning through an entrepreneurial lens
- Four student ventures garnered $9,000 to develop their ideas into businesses. Two of them have since built sustainable business plans and initiated paperwork to become LLCs
- Two student teams made it to the final pitch round for [RE] Verse Pitch, a City of Austin competition where businesses compete to develop the best repurposing business idea for materials destined for the landfill--all other competing businesses were led by adults
How does it work?
- Diverse student cohorts are groomed to be the next generation of innovators, leaders, and entrepreneurs
- Students develop projects with support from teachers and private sector professionals and through connections to universities, startups, and the Austin tech sector
- Students make decisions about the projects that will serve as the basis for their learning
- The 6 Cs--Collaboration, Creativity, Connection, Critical Thinking, Cultural Proficiency, and Communication--are learned and practiced by tackling real-world problems and identifying and developing a feasible solution
- Social Emotional Learning (SEL) skills are valued as the Power Skills that make collaboration possible and effective
- Failure is a valued and celebrated learning opportunity
Desiree Morales, Entrepreneurship Coordinator